Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank Road) Derbyshire' page
Photo:A Primitive Methodist Chapel with 'flying buttresses'

A Primitive Methodist Chapel with 'flying buttresses'

Photo:Where or what is Isha 30 iv?

Where or what is Isha 30 iv?

Photo:1878 Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1998 when it was pending disposal

1878 Matlock Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1998 when it was pending disposal

Keith Guyler 1998

Photo:Matlock Primitive Methodist chapel from a postcard dated 1901-1909

Matlock Primitive Methodist chapel from a postcard dated 1901-1909

Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection

The first chapel to sit on Bank Road was founded in 1838

In 1865 the chapel was rebuilt by John Wildgoose.(a well known name in this part of Derbyshire). James Kerridge of Wisbech designed the building. It is quite ornate in that it has flying buttresses.  The opening services were held on 20th February 1866. The Sunday School at the side was built in the same style in 1878.

In 2014 the Sunday School had been converted for residential purposes and the chapel building was up for sale with planning permission for 4 apartments with 2 or 4 bedrooms. The notice board says 'The Old Methodist Church'.

Photos taken October 2014

OS Map Ref:119:SK302606 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 19/10/2014.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for October 1857 pp.622-623 includes an account by W Watts of the re-opening of Matlock Bank chapel after it had been enlarged to meet the needs of a growing society and Sunday school. The ceremony took place on July 12th 1857 with Mr Shirlock of Derby being the preacher.

The total cost was about £60 and this was more than met by donations and the income from a tea meeting.  The surplus would be used towards the erection of a porch, gas fittings and palisades at the front of the chapel.   Particular thanks went to "the gentlemen and ladies in Mr Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment" for the interest they had taken.  I wonder what they actually did!

By Christopher Hill
On 17/01/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.