Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire' page
Photo:1850 Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel  as it was in 2002

1850 Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 2002

Keith Guyler 2002

This small rural chapel was built in 1850

Claxton is a small village off the A64  eight miles north east of York. It is an ancient village being twice mentioned in The Domesday Book.

The Primitive Methodist Chapel is a delightful building and in 2014 has been converted to a house. Date of closure as a place of worship is unknown.

Photos taken February 2014

OS Map Ref:100:SE694601

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 29/11/2014.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for June 1852 pp. 362-363 contains an account by Jeremiah Dodsworth of the opening and first anniversary services at Claxton Primitive Methodist chapel in the York circuit. The chapel seated 100 people and cost £84, £30 of which was still owing, borrowed on a note at 4%.

Writing about the anniversary celebrations on Sunday April 18th 1852, Mr Dodsworth reveals that "many souls have been converted therein since its opening in March 1852". Thanks were voted to Anthony Walker, Moses Walker, G Dring ("since converted to God") and the others who did the brickwork and building "free of expense"; to Mr Gascoigne who supplied the iron work, also free; to R Dring for gifts of lime; to John Beal and others for carting the materials free of cost; to Leeman and Clark, solicitors of York  for work without fee; to ladies who provided trays for the tea meeting.

Messrs Gascoigne and Walker did much of the canvassing to raise funds in neighbouring villages. The tea meeting initially planned to follow the opening was postponed for a year; hence the account did not appear in the magazine until 1852.

By Christopher Hill
On 07/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.