Oswestry Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Oswestry Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Oswestry Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire' page
Photo:Is this the same Councillor S. Lloyd  who laid a foundation stone at West Felton?

Is this the same Councillor S. Lloyd who laid a foundation stone at West Felton?

Photo:postmark 1906

postmark 1906

postcard belonging to Revd Steven Wild

This chapel was built in 1898

The first chapel on this site was built in 1840 .It was called 'Ebenezer'. The foundation stone for the present large Victorian red brick building was laid on 16th June 1898 and the chapel was opened in 1899. It sits on the corner of Chapel Street and Castle Street.  It has had various extensions added to the  side and in 2014 remains open as Oswestry Methodist Church.

Photos taken December 2014

OS Map Ref:126:SJ290299

 

Further information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

 

Note added Sept 2017 by CH

The Primitive Methodist magazine contains two accounts by R Ward and R Carter of the initial opening of Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel on 20th December 1840. They are transcribed in the attached documents.

The new chapel which measured 14 yards square by 6 yards high, had 20 pews seating 100 people.  There was a double entrance, 2 fire-places and 7 windows. Built of brick with columns and cornices of Roman cement, it was lit by gas.

The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1875 shows it as on the same site as the chapel in these pictures. The 1901 map shows it as enlarged and a more complex shape than the original square footprint.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine  May 1841 pages 171-174

Downloads

Opening of Oswestry chapel
Opening of Oswestry chapel (88k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 p171-174 transcribed by David Tonks

Supplement to the opening of Oswestry chapel
Supplement to the opening of Oswestry chapel (248k)
supplementary account of the opening of Oswestry chapel, transcribed by David Tonks from the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1842 page 415-417

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 24/12/2014.
Comments about this page

S Lloyd was Circuit Steward at the time the chapel was built.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 13/01/2015

I have added an old postcard to this page which shows the chapel not long after it was built - looking very impressive!

By Jill Barber
On 01/02/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.