Bath Oldfield Park Primitive Methodist Church

Photo:former Oldfield Park Primitive Methodist chapel from the north

former Oldfield Park Primitive Methodist chapel from the north

Christopher Hill

Photo:rear of the former Primitive Methodist chapel

rear of the former Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill

Photo:former chapel from the east; site of former tin hall on the left

former chapel from the east; site of former tin hall on the left

Christopher Hill

Triangle West, Oldfield Park BATH BA2 3JA

By Christopher Hill

Oldfield Park Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1892.  It served an area largely made up of compact family homes accommodating the workforce for industries which have since ceased to be viable- Stothert and Pitt (cranes), Clarks (shoes), CIC, Hayward and Wooster, George Yeo, Horstmanns and the railway (Somerset and Dorset, and Great Western). 

The building was on two levels - the lower one was the Sunday School and hall whilst the worship area was upstairs.  Disabled access was an issue and contributed to the decision to close in 2006, but the main reason lay with the changing nature of the area around the church with a much higher proportion of student accommodation.  Local families were priced out of the area.

The church hall was called the "Institute" on detailed maps.  The church hall was demolished in 2010 and the church converted into residential accommodation.  The Society moved up the hill to join with the work at Southdown.

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.