Mile End; Mount Hermon Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Mount Hermon Primitive Methodist chapel

Mount Hermon Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1990

estimated location, Mount Hermon Primitive Methodist chapel

Edge End Road, Mile End, Coleford, Gloucestershire GL16 7DA

By Christopher Hill

Mount Hermon chapel opened at Mile End in 1904.  The Victoria County History gives the following information:

"From that time there were 15 Primitive Methodist chapels in the Forest. Those at Cinderford, Pillowell, Bream's Eaves, Lydbrook, and Five Acres had the largest congregations and each retained over 40 members in 1932. At that time the Mile End chapel, with over 30 members, was also well attended and the cause was weakest at Viney Hill and at Oldcroft, where the chapel had been closed."

The chapel has now closed and appears to have been demolished.  A recently-built house called Mount Hermon House now occupies the site. 


Reference: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp396-404 accessed January 6th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 06/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.