Lydney; Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel, Lydney

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel, Lydney

Keith Guyler 1990

Springfield Road Lydney GL15 5LT

By Christopher Hill

Lydney; Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel was founded in 1850, and we understand it is still open in 2014.

A contemporary account of the opening by George Grigg is included in the Primitive Methodist magazine of March 1852.  He dates the initial missioning by  C Robins as 1845 and a small society was founded then. It met in the house of Mr and Mrs Edward Hawell.  

A significant camp meeting was held on Sunday 3rd August 1850 leading to the growth of the society to 28 members.  The house they used for meetings was no longer big enough and two cottages were bought and turned into a chapel, which was opened by Rev E Foizey of Bristol.  On the following day, the 19th (although Mr Grigg does not tell us which month or even year it was the 19th of).  The overall cost was £137 of which they had raised over £47.  A cottage at the end of the chapel could also be let to bring in a rent.

At the time of the Religious Census of 1851 (HO 129/576/3/3/9), the name of the place of worship was entered as "none", but it was a separate building used exclusively for religious worship built "in the year of our Lord 1850". There was seating for 100, and if there weren't enough seats, enough room for 40 persons to stand. The congregation on March 30th was 60 at the morning service, 100 in the afternoon, and 140 in the evening. The form was completed by Thomas Peters, a Trustee, who lived in Lydney.

Kelly's Directory of 1923 records Lydney's Primitive Methodist Chapel as built in 1869. It is labelled on early Old Maps as "Ebenezer Chapel (Primitive Methodist)".

The Victoria County History series: A History of the County of Gloucester, Volume 5  records the origins of its congregation in two cottages at Newerne which were converted into a chapel by the Primitive Methodists in 1850. The new chapel was built on the road to Primrose Hill (later Springfield Road) in 1869, and 2 years later, in 1871, the old chapel was sold. After the Methodist Union of 1932 it became Springfield Methodist Church.


Reference: 

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp46-84#h3-0012 accessed January 6th 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1852 pp.179-180

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 06/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.