Shipton Oliffe Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Shipton Oliffe Primitive Methodist chapel

Shipton Oliffe Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1990

Shipton Oliffe, CHELTENHAM, GL54 4HZ

By Christopher Hill

In 1865 Wesleyan Methodists of the Cheltenham circuit began holding services in Shipton Oliffe but from 1867 they centred their mission to the area on Andoversford.  A few years later Primitive Methodists established a meeting in Shipton Oliffe and in 1877 they had a brick chapel in the village. The chapel, which was rebuilt in 1889, as shown by an engraved foundation stone to the right of the entrance.  It was closed in 1994 and was sold in 1997 when an application to convert it into a house was made.

Gloucestershire County archives hold records from 1876-1994 including church council minutes, trust minutes, financial records, marriage register and records relating to church property and to church events.


 

Reference: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol9/pp187-208#h3-0006 accessed Jan 7th 2015

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.