Manuden Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:postcard belonging to Steven Wild

postcard belonging to Steven Wild

Photo:first Manuden Primitive Methodist chapel

first Manuden Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

Photo:second Manuden Primitive Methodist chapel

second Manuden Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

Former chapel at Manuden

The Street Manuden BISHOP'S STORTFORD CM23 1DT

By Christopher Hill

In 1878 Primitive Methodists bought 5 cottages in Manuden for £182 to build a chapel.  The chapel opened in 1880.

In 1884, Mr. W. Clarke of Manuden was told off for going to a pub. In 1888 he was told to read more to improve his knowledge.

Manuden chapel trustees were: William Tedder, John Benterman, Nathan Hammond, John Skinner, Mr. Jackson (dead), Aaron Patmore of Stansted, James Dixon of Elsenham.

The 2012 local conservation proposals describe the building as follows:

"The former Methodist Chapel, a painted brick-built building dating to 1880, with arched windows and door on its gable-ended frontage, is typical of many small-scale rural chapels and forms an important part of the historic narrative of Manuden. It is now a private home (No. 95 The Street)."

The Recorders of Uttlesford History website lists members at several dates in the nineteenth century.


Reference: http://www.uttlesford.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1926&p=0 accessed January 7th 2015

http://www.recordinguttlesfordhistory.org.uk/ULHRdone/primitivemethodists.html accessed January 7th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/01/2015.
Comments about this page

It had seating for 160, and closed for worship between 1962 and 1972.

By Jill Barber
On 13/07/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.