Castleton Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Castleton Primitive Methodist chapel

Castleton Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1992

Castleton Primitive Methodist chapel

Station Road Castleton WHITBY YO21 2EG

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist chapel was across the road from the Castle Mound in Castleton.   It is now a private cottage and still states above the door porch that it was built in 1861. After closure it was the residence of the British Legion before being converted into a private dwelling about 2006. 

The opening is described by E Hall in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Services at the opening started on October 27th 1861 and were conducted by Rev. J. Barnes, Mr. S. Stott, of Thirsk, Mr. T. Clegg, of Whitby, Revs. E. Hall, J. Barnes, R. Clemitson and Messrs. J. Stott and G. Tweddle of Guisborough. Celebrations included a tea meeting for 150. 

The new chapel cost £160 of which £56 had been raised and seated 170.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1862 page 112-113

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 20/01/2015.