Harwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Harwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Harwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1998

Harwood Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1860 and closed in the 1990s.

William Patterson gives a flavour of nineteenth century evangelism:

"In the early eighties the Misses Thompson had much success at Middleton and Lunedale; and in 1895 W. Swales, now a successful minister, had abundant fruit at most of the places in the circuit. At Harwood a whole family named Anderson was converted through the instrumentality of a girl. In his eagerness to get to the penitent form, her brother vaulted over the pew back. That youth is now a respected evangelist."

When the photograph was taken in 1998 the chapel was semi-derelict and for sale.  Google Street View in 2009 shows it used as a house.   It is miles from anywhere, the only building within sight alongside the B6276 overlooking Selset reservoir.  Where did the congregation come from?


Reference

Patterson, William M. (1909) Northern Primitive Methodism: A Record of the Rise and Progress of the Circuits in the Old Sunderland District. Dalton, London

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 21/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.