Macclesfield Beech Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Macclesfield Beech Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Macclesfield Beech Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Macclesfield Beech Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire' page
Photo:Photo No 4.

Photo No 4.

Photo of sketch by kind permission of Mr. David Lisle

This lovely chapel was built in 1830

This most attractive chapel was built as the Silk Industry came into being in Macclesfield. More people came into the town so the number of worshippers increased. The chapel provided a meeting place  for the families of the silk workers. It seated 150 and cost £510. When it was completed a debt of £400 remained and this was not cleared until 1923.

In 1835 a Sunday School was built to the rear of the chapel. It can be seen in the picture Photo No 4. This building no longer exists having been pulled down by the present owner, before it fell down, to make a car park. In 1912 the chapel was renovated. The two front doors were replaced by one and stained glass was put into the windows. 

David Lisle Kitchen Design bought the chapel in 1999. It has been beautifully and tastefully renovated to retain the original structure including the stained glass. The interior has made a most pleasing show room where David Lisle's clients can discuss and view designs for their purpose built kitchens.

In 2002 David and the chapel were awarded the Macclesfield Heritage Award.

Photos taken January 2015

OS Map Ref:118:SJ916741 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 25/01/2015.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1853 contains an account by John Graham of the re-opening of Macclesfield Beech Road Primitive Methodist chapel after renovation work. Although the chapel had fallen into a very dilapidated state, repairs had been delayed by the outstanding debt, but when it reached a crisis point, seventeen people agreed to become collectors (10 women, 4 men, 1 boy are named in the article, together with the amount each collected - wonder what happened to the other two collectors).

The article says that the chapel was re-opened on Sunday February 37th which seems unlikely. Two sermons were preached by C Lace (Derby). Following the Monday tea meeting, Mr Higginson preached.  

The report is relieved to say that the cost of the repairs had been covered in full.

By Christopher Hill
On 17/02/2017

The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1834 (p149) contains an account by T Morgan of the opening of the chapel by Brothers King and Verity on 25th and 26th December 1830.  The chapel is described as having a gallery at one end and lit by gas. It measured 33' wide by 51' long. There was a good society and a large Sunday school.

By Christopher Hill
On 17/08/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.