Lambley Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Lambley Primitive Methodist chapel

Lambley Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1997

former Lambley Primitive Methodist chapel

Main Street, Lambley, NOTTINGHAM, NG4 4PP

By Christopher Hill

The Soundwell and Nottingham Church History Project describes the state of Lambley in the early 19th century.

"The poverty of the parishioners, the frequent absence of the rector and the damp and ruinous state of the church together with the influence and appeal of nonconformity combined to help the rise of Methodism in Lambley.

The first chapel was built at the top of Chapel Lane by the Methodist New Connexion in 1807. In 1847 the Primitive Methodists bought a plot of land on Main Street on which the present Methodist Chapel stands. For a while the ‘Prims’ used the Chapel Lane building but in 1848 it was bought by the Wesleyans and the ‘Primitive’ Methodists had to find other accommodation. Until their own chapel was ready they held their services in a barn in the grounds of Primrose Cottage Main Street. The chapel opened in August 1849.

The Religious Census of 1851 confirms some of the Rev Cobden's fears about the state of his Anglican church. Out of a population of 951 the congregation at evensong was 55 compared with 120 at the Wesleyan Methodist chapel 98 at the Primitive Methodist chapel and 25 at a service for Latter Day Saints."

 The chapel has been converted into a house.


Reference

Soundwell and Nottingham Church History Project accessed January 23 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.