Keyworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Keyworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Keyworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1997

Keyworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Selby Lane Keyworth NOTTINGHAM NG12 5AH

By Christopher Hill

The first Primitive Methodist chapel was built on Elm Avenue in 1828, although there had been a society in the village for several years.  Opening services took place on Sunday 28th September and was reported in the 1830 Primitive Methodist magazine by a "well wisher to Zion."  Preachers were Rev Richard Alliott Jun. (Independent minister) and Brother King.

To celebrate the opening, Rev Smith, the minister at Keyworth Independent chapel and his friends shut their chapel and suspended all public services for the day

The chapel was replaced by a larger Methodist Church on Selby Lane in 1881.  During the latter half of the 19th century the rapidly increasing support for Primitive Methodism led in 1872 to a bitter dispute at Selby Lane when the establishment of a non-denominational Board school was met with strong opposition by the Anglicans who had built the first purpose-built National school in the village in 1862 very nearby. 

The second Keyworth chapel was opened in 1880.  The church is still active as an Methodist/Anglican/URC partnership.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1830 page 179

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/01/2015.
Comments about this page

See also an article on the Nottingham Fourth Circuit published in the Christian Messenger 1907.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 20/07/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.