Radcliffe on Trent Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Radcliffe on Trent Primitive Methodist chapel

Radcliffe on Trent Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1996

Shelford Road Radcliffe-on-Trent NOTTINGHAM NG12 2AG

By Christopher Hill

The first Wesleyan meetings were held before 1791 in Baker Beeson’s house on Mount Pleasant, and the first chapel built on an adjoining site in 1796. Other branches of Methodism – the Primitive and the Independent Primitive (who objected to paid ministry) – were also established in Radcliffe during the early 19th century. In 1864 the Primitive Methodists purchased the Independents’ former chapel, which had been created on the site of three cottages on the east side of Mount Pleasant, and survived in Radcliffe until at least 1862.

A new Primitive Methodist Chapel was built on Shelford Road in 1893. Other chapels eventually closed, but the Shelford Road premises remain as the only Methodist chapel in the village. 


Reference

Independent Primitive Methodists accessed January 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.