Heather Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Heather Primitive Methodist chapel

Heather Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

Heather Primitive Methodist chapel

Pisca Lane Heather COALVILLE LE67 2QH

By Christopher Hill

Heather is a village in Leicestershire which at the end of the nineteenth century had bth Primitive and Wesleyan societies, together with a colliery, and brick, tile, and terra-cotta works.

The Primitive Methodist society was active from the first half of the nineteenth century.  In 1851 a group of Primitive Methodists was meeting in a room that was not exclusively set aside for worship, but which had room for 45 people. On census Sunday that year, 40 people attended the afternoon service there, and 45 in the evening. They built their first chapel in 1855. It stands to the north of the village on Pisca Lane and cost £120; a porch was added in 1895. It was enlarged in 1903, the date still clear on the front of the chapel.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/01/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.