Lichfield George Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Lichfield George Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Lichfield George Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 2000

George Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Frank Halfpenny Hall, George Lane, Lichfield, WS13 6DX

By Christopher Hill

Victoria County History for Staffordshire tells us the following:
In 1836 the Darlaston and Birmingham circuits provided two missionaries for the Lichfield area, and a chapel was opened in George Lane in 1848.  The attendance there on Census Sunday 1851 was 23 in the afternoon and 57 in the evening; no morning service was held that day, but it was stated that normally there was an attendance of 60, with 51 Sunday school children. The chapel was closed in 1934 and reopened the following year as a Salvation Army hall. 

When built it accommodated 130 people and it was later used by the Labour party.  In September 2014 it is shown on Google Street View as a playgroup.  It has been known as Frank Halfpenny Hall.


Reference

Victoria County History for Staffordshire accessed February 1st 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 01/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.