Eaton Ford Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Primitive Methodist chapel at Eaton Ford

Primitive Methodist chapel at Eaton Ford

Keith Guyler 1997

location of Eaton Ford Primitive Methodist chapel

38 St Neots Road, Eaton Ford, St Neots, Cambridgeshire, PE19 7BD

By Christopher Hill

Early meetings of the Society took place in a baker's shop and then various cottages whilst attempts were made to buy a piece of land suitable for Chapel.  In 1865 a Sunday school was started with Mr Wells as a superintendent.  With a day of great celebration the foundation stone was laid for the chapel on 28 October 1870.  The opening services lasted over three Sundays beginning on 19 March 1871.  The two main ministers involved in the building of Eaton Ford were Oliver Jackson and Brownley Westbrook, who preached on the morning and evening of the first Sunday.

The Chapel was extended with the purchase of extra land in 1893.  In 1983 major renovation work took place with the removal of the pews and pulpit and moving the organ.


Reference

Eaton Ford Methodist Church website, accessed February 8th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/02/2015.
Comments about this page

Until 1965, Eaton Ford was part of Bedfordshire. The PM Chapel was registered for worship by Oliver Jackson of Eynsbury (Hunts) Primitive Methodist minister on 18 May 1871 (source: Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

By Tim Banks
On 07/03/2015

Kelly's Directory 1914 notes that the chapel sat 150 people.

By Tim Banks
On 07/03/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.