Brigstock Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:first Brigstock Primitive Methodist chapel

first Brigstock Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1989

Photo:Brigstock chapel

Brigstock chapel

Keith Guyler 1989

former Primitive Methodist chapel at Brigstock

Park Walk Brigstock KETTERING NN14 3HH

By Christopher Hill

The chapel was opened in 1843.  After its closure it became the Women's Institute hall.

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for March 1854 contains an article by James Langham about the original opening and the subsequent debt problems of Brigstock Primitive Methodist chapel.  

The original cost was £212 of which £145 was met.  They could comfortably pay the interest, until "about fifty of our supporters were lost by emigration." Other things happened, although Mr Langham does not specify what, but the crisis came when a loan of £40 "borrowed on promissory notes" was called in. The society managed to raise the sum however and in 1854 felt much more positive about the future.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1854  pp. 178-179

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 11/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.