Newborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Newborough Primitive Methodist chapel

former Newborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1996

By Christopher Hill

Newborough Primitive Methodist chapel opened on November 11th 1858, eleven weeks after the laying of the foundation stone by W Vergette on August 26th 1858. There's an account by J Ashworth in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Rev J Brownson of Leicester preached and there was tea  for 250 in Mr Aitkin's marquee.

There had been a Prim society in the village for around 20 years previously although sometimes having only one or two members, with W Key the main force in keeping it going. In 1855/6 Mr Uper for the society rented an old thatched cottage that they fitted up as a chapel. Mr W Freear arranged its purchase for £50. A Sunday school of over 100 children quickly developed.

The new chapel butted up to the old one which could thus be used as a vestry. It had a Gothic design; measured 35' x 24'; was built of brick with stone cills and window heads and a slate roof. It cost around £220.

Speakers at the opening services and tea meeting for 250 (the same 250?) included W Sanderson of Kirton Lindsey, J Dawson, T Barrass (Baptist, J Ashworth, Mr Pentney (Independent) and Mr Hart of Baldock.

Peterborough City Council identifies a record of the register of christenings/births for 1872-1952.   The chapel which held 160 did close in the 1950s.

At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1995, it was a farm store. 


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1859 pp.168-169

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.