Shirland Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Primitive Methodist chapel at Shirland

Primitive Methodist chapel at Shirland

Keith Guyler 1998

location of former Shirland Primitive Methodist chapel - south of Wellington Park, not as located by Google map

Main Rd, Shirland, Alfreton, DE55 6BB

By Christopher Hill

The chapel was opened in 1875 and at the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1998 was the current Trinity Methodist church.  The site was on the other side of the A61 Main Road to the village hall.  However, on Google Street View in 2009 only the boundary wall exists; the chapel has been replaced by two small houses.  Can someone explain what has happened?

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/02/2015.
Comments about this page

The building pictured was the ex-Wesleyan chapel; the ex-PM chapel was next-door, set back from the road and became part of the garden centre there. The building pictured was used for worship when the three Methodist chapels in Shirland came together, until around 2006, when because of diminishing numbers and the poor state of the building the decision was taken to close. Methodist worship continued in the village once a month in the Parish Church; for the other Sundays the few remaining members went to Alfreton and other nearby chapels.

By Rachel Larkinson
On 26/06/2015

Thanks for the correction Rachel.  It's easy to get confused.

 

By Christopher Hill
On 09/07/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.