Doncaster; Bentley Rd Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Doncaster; Bentley Rd Primitive Methodist chapel' page

Richard Jennings

Photo:former Doncaster Bentley Rd Primitive Methodist chapel

former Doncaster Bentley Rd Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1998

location of the 1899 Bentley Primitive Methodist chapel

Bentley Rd, Bentley, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN5 9TG

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1857 contains an account by T Newsome of the opening of Bentley Primitive Methodist chapel.  Bentley is describes as a pleasant little village about a mile and a half from Doncaster, "once notorious for bull baiting, dog-fighting and other cruel sports".  

The society met for many years before 1857 in a private house.  However, once they had obtained a suitable plot of land fronting the village green,  it took them 14 weeks to build the chapel. Opening services started on August 16th 1857 with contributory sermons from Rev T Greenbury, Prof Tyte, H Crabtree (Pontefract), Rev W Lonsdale and J Manners (Balby).  The celebrations included the essential tea meeting.

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on the 1892 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map on the west side of High Street, just south of its junction with Finkle Street - roughly where the Post Office is in 2016.  It accommodated around 150 people - and in the short time since its opening "has already been the spiritual birthplace of twelve or fourteen precious souls."

The Bentley Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Keith Guyler's picture was opened in 1899 and closed in the 1980s.  It is located further south on Bentley Road, the A19.  By the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1998 it had become an evangelical church and on Google Street View in August 2012 it was in use as Mount Hermon Community Church, which continues in 2015.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1857 682-683

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 21/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.