Knottingley Zion Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Knottingley Zion Primitive Methodist chapel

former Knottingley Zion Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

former Primitive Methodist chapel at Knottingley

Forge Hill Lane, KNOTTINGLEY, WF11 8HN

By Christopher Hill

The first Primitive Methodist chapel In Knottingley was built in Bells Yard, off Aire Street, in 1818.  In 1832, Zion Chapel with its schoolroom was built at the bottom of Forge Gill Lane.  Over time the chapel became unsafe and was closed for some years In April 1890, however, a complete renovation was undertaken.  The reopening of the chapel for worship in October that year was marked by a parade through the town led by Knottingley Silver Prize Band.  It accommodated 160 people.

At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph it was still in use, but on Google street View in 2014 the chapel has been converted to four flats and the school room demolished.  In 2008 it shows the chapel under conversion.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 25/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.