Burntwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Burntwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Burntwood Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 2000

Chase Road, BURNTWOOD

By Christopher Hill

Two houses at Burntwood were registered for worship by protestant dissenters in 1830 and 1842.   In 1846 a house in what became Chase Road was registered by Primitive Methodists and in 1849 they opened a chapel in  the same Road. The attendances on Census Sunday 1851 were 16 in the afternoon (with 26 Sunday school children) and 25 in the evening; the average congregations were claimed to be respectively 35 and 50. The chapel was replaced in 1875 by one in Cannock Road, now Burntwood Methodist church (WS7 0BJ).  A rear extension was built in 1900.  

The first chapel  became a dwelling then a bakehouse.


Reference

Victoria County History - Staffordshire accessed February 26th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 26/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.