Llangunllo Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Llangunllo Primitive Methodist chapel

former Llangunllo Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1993

former Primitive Methodist chapel at Llangunllo

Llangunllo, KNIGHTON, LD7 1SR

By Christopher Hill

Llangunllo Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1853. There is an account by Charles Smallman of the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine from 14th October 1853. Preachers were Rev C Bagley of Oswestry and after the tea meeting C Smallman, J Broadhurst and E Cowdell.

The chapel measured 30' x 21', built of stone and slate, and cost £115 of which they had raised over half. Mr Evans of the Bailey gave the land, but there was considerable interference by the local clergyman who intervened to prevent several agreed land deals being completed.

 In 1891, it was one of 9 in the Knighton Circuit: Knighton, Brookhouse, Lloiney, Llangunllo, Cwm-y-Gaist, Bleddfa, Providence and Llandewy.  

Powys: a day in the life gives details from the notebook of the Rev Rose about the chapel in 1891 and two families that attended - Vaughan and Griffith ("kind people near the station").

The chapel was closed in the 1960s and at the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1993 and on Google Street View in July 2011 was in use as a house - Robin Hill.


Reference

Powys: a day in the life accessed April 4th 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine p.751

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 04/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.