Whitgift Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:the second Primitive Methodist chapel at Whitgift

the second Primitive Methodist chapel at Whitgift

Keith Guyler 1999

former Primitive Methodist chapel at Whitgift

Whitgift, GOOLE, DN14 8HL

By Christopher Hill

Whitgift is a long linear village alongside the River Ouse.  The first Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1834. It was followed in 1860 by the chapel in the photograph.  

The 1851 Religious census in March 1851 which was completed by Jonathan Leaper the steward, shows that the average attendances were 50 in the mornings, 52 in the afternoons and 86 in the evenings.  The Sunday School had 50 attendees in the mornings and 52 in the afternoon.

On Google Street View in 2009 it appears as Whitgift chapel, although it is not clear whether it is still Methodist or even that it was still in use.  

It is located at SE8212823007.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.