Kilnwick Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Kilnwick Primitive Methodist chapel, built as a national school

former Kilnwick Primitive Methodist chapel, built as a national school

Keith Guyler 1999

Photo:the house on left was used as first Kilnwick Primitive Methodist chapel

the house on left was used as first Kilnwick Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

former Primitive Methodist chapel at Kilnwick

School Lane, Kilnwick, DRIFFIELD, YO25 9JE

By Christopher Hill

Methodists managed to build 306 Wesleyan and 210 Primitive chapels in the East Riding of Yorkshire by 1919 in a total of 241 settlements. Of these 115 had both Wesleyan and Primitive chapels.  

Kilnwick Primitive Methodist chapel, south of Great Driffield, was a former Nathional school, built in 1821.  Before that, the Prims met in a small house at the corner of School Lane and Main Street. The chapel was closed in 1973 and is now used as a house.

Google Street View in May 2010 shows that it has been extended.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.