Bridlington St John's Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:first Bridlington St Johns Primitive Methodist chapel

first Bridlington St Johns Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

Photo:second Bridlington St Johns Primitive Methodist chapel

second Bridlington St Johns Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

former St John's Primitive Methodist chapel at Bridlington

Saint John's Street, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire YO16 7JS

By Christopher Hill

William Clowes preached in Bridlington in 1821 leading to the formation of a society.  The first Bridlington St John's Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1833 but was replaced in 1849.  This church too was demolished in 1877 and replaced on the same site with the church which closed in 1970.  It is now the Co-op Supermarket. 

There is an account by Thomas Holliday of the opening of the first Bridlington Primitive Methodist chapel, although he dates it as 31st August 1834 rather than 1833. Opening preachers were W Clowes and A Smith. The society enlarged a building they had acquired and filled it with pews for 166, together with additional free seats.

Eric Fell has set out a well researched account of the history of Methodism in Bridlington on the Circuit website.


Reference

History of the Burlington St Johns Methodist church in Bridlington on the Bridlington Methodist Circuit website accessed April 10th 2015

Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 p.393

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.