Langtoft Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Langtoft Primitive Methodist chapel

former Langtoft Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 2000

Rehoboth Primitive Methodist chapel

Rehoboth Cottam Lane, Langtoft, DRIFFIELD, YO25 3BU

By Christopher Hill

Rehoboth Primitive Methodist chapel at Langtoft was situated on Cottam Lane.  It was built in 1839 and accommodated 136 people.  On census Sunday in March 1851 it had a congregation in the evening of 92.  

The chapel was used for worship until 1950.  At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 2000 and on Google  Street View in in January 2009 it is a private house.    The Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Langtoft closed in 2004 when it had only 5 active members - such a contrast with an early account of a camp meeting held in the village in the early days of Primitive Methodism and described in Kendall's history of the Primitive Methodist church p66


 

Reference

Kendal Rev The Origin and History of the Primitive Methodist Church accessed onlline April 10th 2015 

 

 

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.