Hornsea Market Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Hornsea Market Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Hornsea Market Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 2000

Market Place chapel Hornsea

Market Place, Hornsea HU18 1AW

By Christopher Hill

Hornsea Primitive Methodist Chapel is a contrast with the simplicity of rural chapels in the area.  Designed by Joseph Wright in the Italianate style, it is red brick building, with white string-courses, ornamental cut stone dressings and topped by a pediment. In contrast with 21st century disability legislation, the vestibule is approached by a flight of wide stone steps. On the lower floor were the Sunday school and class rooms.

The chapel was built in 1864, at a cost of £1,250. A previous chapel, built in 1835, was taken down, and a house for the minister erected on the site.

After the chapel was closed in the 1980s, Keith Guyler notes that it was used as flats in 1990 but in 1999 became Market Place Pentecostal church.  Google Street View in 2010 shows it still in that use.

There is an account by Thomas Holliday of the opening of the first chapel in the summer of 1835 in the Primitive Methodist magazine. The chapel, in the Driffield branch of the Hull circuit, was built on land given by Isaac Warcup and had 101 sittings with additional free ones.

Preachers at the opening were W Clowes, A Smith and Thomas Holliday.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 p.393

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 11/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.