Marton Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Marton Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Marton Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1992

Marton York YO62 6RD

By Christopher Hill

John Petty tells us that in the second decade of the nineteenth century "At Marton, the society had prospered so largely that ((Mr Clowes) found it expedient to divide it into three classes, which soon after comprised eighty members, and a new chapel was speedily built for their accommodation. In the revival at this place the late Mr. Thomas Dawson was brought to God, who afterwards became one of the most influential lay members in the Connexion, and for many years took a prominent part in its most important assemblies for business."

On census Sunday in March 1851 the average congregation was noted by Christopher Horner, Steward and Trustee as 1629.  The record then includes a note saying that there were calculations trying to divide 1629 by 52.

The chapel in Keith Guyler's picture was called Bethel and opened in 1870.  It was in use at the time of his photograph in 1992 and on Google Street View in 2011 appears to still be used.


ReferenceJohn Petty 1860 The History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion from its origin,  p85

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 20/04/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.