Norbiton Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Norbiton Primitive Methodist chapel

former Norbiton Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1994

Photo:Norbiton PM chapel 2016

Norbiton PM chapel 2016

Christopher Hill 2016

Photo:Norbiton PM chapel front: Hugh Bourne House

Norbiton PM chapel front: Hugh Bourne House

Christopher Hill 2016

location of Victoria Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Victoria Hall Victoria Road KINGSTON UPON THAMES KT1 3DW

By Christopher Hill

Victoria Road Primitive Methodist chapel in Norbiton was one of three Primitive Methodist chapels in Kingston on Thames, the others being on Richmond Road and an iron church in Arlington Road.

The chapel was built in 1866.  It replaced the former Ebenezer Strict Baptist chapel.  It was sold to Kingston Polytechnic in 1966 when a new Methodist church was built at the junction of Fairfield Road and Avenue Road.  The former chapel became part of Kingston University. In 2015 it is Active Learning, a nursery.

In August 2016 although Active Learning still occupies part of the premises, it has been converted into flats and is called Hugh Bourne House.  Although one is too hard to read clearly, it still carries foundation stones naming:

  • Albert S. Senior
  • William Tickner
  • Ladies Sewing Circle
  • School and Choir
This page was added by Christopher Hill on 01/05/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.