East Worthing Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:East Worthing Primitive Methodist chapel

East Worthing Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1989

Worthing Primitive Methodist chapel

Lyndhurst Road, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 2DG

By Christopher Hill

The Worthing mission was formed in 1875 and became a circuit in 1894. There was a cottage meeting in Wenban Road in 1874, and an iron chapel was opened in Chapel Road in 1880. It was moved to Lyndhurst Road in 1893, and was opened after use as an emergency hospital during the typhoid outbreak.

The chapel in Keith Guyler's photograph was opened in Lyndhurst Road in 1929, just before union with other branches of Methodism.  It was designed by H.K. Armitage in the Perpendicular Gothic style.  The iron chapel was taken down after the Second World War. 

The Methodist Church declared it redundant in 2005, and permission was granted to establish a children's centre in it.  It Google Street View it appears in May 2014 to still be used in that way.


Reference

Victoria County History of Sussex accessed through British History Online May 7th 2015.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/05/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.