Dover London Rd Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:London Road Primitive Methodist chapel

London Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1984

former London Road Primitive Methodist chapel at Dover

The Beacon Church Christian Centre London Road DOVER CT17 0SS

By Christopher Hill

The first recorded Primitive Methodist meetings in Dover were in 1848 in a cow loft in Brook Street, Charlton.  A chapel was built in Peter Street in 1860.  After the building of the new church in London Road, this chapel had a variety of use before being demolished after the Second World War.

The foundation stone for the chapel in Keith Guyler's photograph was laid on the 6th of May, 1901.  It accommodated 600 people and was extended in 1928.  It was damaged in the Second World War and part of it had to be demolished.

At the time of the photograph the chapel was still in use as Buckland Methodist church.  On 31st August 2003, it was amalgamated with the Tower Hamlets Chapel and the United Reform Church to form the Beacon Centre, so called because of its location on the corner of London Road and Beaconsfield Avenue.


Reference

Dover churches website accessed May 16 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 16/05/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.