Boxted Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Boxted Primitive Methodist chapel

Boxted Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1986

Chapel Lane Boxted COLCHESTER CO4 5RP

By Christopher Hill

Boxted Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1832 and is still open for worship.  Unusually for a Primitive Methodist chapel, there is a graveyard located on the site.

Also unusually, on the site is a separate room which is the home of the well respected Boxted Methodist Silver Band.  Originally a wind band formed by members of the chapel in the 1860s, there has been a brass band since 1898. The present-day name dates from the late 1930s.  The band still plays at both religious and secular events and often leads worship at Boxted Methodist and other Churches in the area. There are lots of interesting pictures on the Band website.


Reference:

Boxted Methodist Silver Band website, accessed June 7th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/06/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.