St Mary Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:St Mary Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel

St Mary Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1991

St Mary Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel at Swampton

St. Mary Bourne ANDOVER SP11 6EW

By Christopher Hill

Keith Guyler's notes alongside his 1991 photograph say that the chapel that he calls St Mary Bourne opened in 1839 and was rebuilt in 1866. However, the photograph is very similar to the picture of Stoke chapel already on this website here.  Is it the same or were they simply built to the same design?

The St Mary Bourne Revisited website implies they are separate chapels.  Itgives some engaging detail - including surveying the original chapel site by moonlight and getting a stranger to bid at auction for the land so that no-oone knew it was for use as a non-conformist chapel!

The Victoria County History of Hampshire gives some explanation of no-conformist chapels in St Mary Bourne parish, "There are numerous Nonconformist chapels in the parish: a Baptist chapel at Swampton, rebuilt in 1879; a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1859; and another at Stoke, built in 1864. A Wesleyan chapel was rebuilt in 1886, and there is another at Dunley. The 'Old Book Chapel' originally used by the Primitive Methodists is now called the St. Mary Bourne Band of Hope Mission Room. The Salvation Army hold meetings there and in the buildings behind known as Workman's Hall."


Reference:

British History online accessed July 17th 2015

St Mary Bourne revisited website accessed July 15th 2015

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/07/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.