Kings Somborne Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Kings Somborne Primitive Methodist chapel

Kings Somborne Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

Kings Somborne Primitive Methodist chapel

Winchester Road, King's Somborne, Stockbridge, Hants. SO20 6NZ

By Christopher Hill

 In 1832 the house of George Brice was registered for worship, and by the early 1840s there were about 30 members. Land was bought in the late 1860s and a chapel built in 1871; this is the building currently in use 

There was a United Methodist chapel less than 100 yards away and for nearly 50 years both chapels flourished but then the numbers in the Primitive Methodist congregation began to decline as families moved away and some emigrated.  By 1919 there were only 2 members left. It was decided to discontinue worship and to offer the building to the United Methodists who accepted this gracious offer and transferred their worship there. 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 22/07/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.