Collycroft, 'Ebenezer' Primitive Methodist Church

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Collycroft, 'Ebenezer' Primitive Methodist Church' page

Pater Barber, 30.07.15

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Collycroft, 'Ebenezer' Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Collycroft, 'Ebenezer' Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Collycroft, 'Ebenezer' Primitive Methodist Church' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Collycroft, 'Ebenezer' Primitive Methodist Church' page

Orchard Street, Bedworth, CW12 8BW

By Jill Barber

The date on the gable end of Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel says 1851-1878. 

The Primitive Methodist Sunday School on the right was built in 1907.

More information can be found here.

These photos were taken by Peter Barber on 30 July 2015.

This page was added by Jill Barber on 31/07/2015.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for April 1852 contains an account by James Prosser of the opening of Collycroft Primitive Methodist chapel.  Collycroft is described as a ming district with a population of around 500 people. It was missioned before 1832 but by 1850 there were only 9 or 10 members.  They considered closing the society, but a revival broke out in January 1851 so that the room would not hold half those who wanted to attend, so a piece of freehold land was bought.

The opening took place on October 12th 1851 with preaching by Rev Richard Jukes. Later sermons were preached by Miss MC Buck.

The chapel was 30' x 25', 16.5' high and seated up to 200 people. It cost £170 of which £55 had been raised. Special thanks were due to D Rowbottom for the donation of £5. "We have a thriving Sunday school and a good congregation".

By Christopher Hill
On 06/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.