Huxley Jubilee PM Chapel, Cheshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Huxley Jubilee PM Chapel, Cheshire' page

Built 1860

Photograph taken by Alison-Mary Smithson, 6 March 2010.

Notes added CH 2018

The laying of the foundation stone of the chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine in a report by George Stacey.

"Huxley in the Chester Circuit was first visited by our preachers in 1819, and for forty-one years a congregation and society have been heartily welcomed, and uninterruptedly accommodated at the house of Mr. John Sadler, farmer. A plot of ground, of sufficient dimensions for a graveyard and chapel, has been secured to the Connexion, and the foundation stone of a Jubilee Chapel was laid July 5th, 1860, by I. F. Maddock, Esq., of Chester, who delivered an appropriate address ; after which the Rev. W.Rowe preached an impressive sermon to a large and attentive congregation, 270 of whom adjourned to a commodious tent, partook of an excellent tea, and liberally patronised the object contemplated."

The actual opening is described the following year by J Eastwood.

The new chapel was "neat ...in the Gothic style", in the "most modern design" by Mr. T. A. Richardson, architect, of Chester. Built of brick and stone, it measured 34' x 22' and cost £250. Mr. E. Sadler, of Eccles, near Manchester gave the windows. A significant collector of funds was Mr. John Bennett, deceased.

The preachers at the opening were Messrs. T. Bateman, J. Aston, R. Dutton, J. Eastwood, and Miss Bennett. 


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 page 621

Primitive Methodist magazine July 1861 page 436

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 02/08/2012.
Comments about this page

This page has been updated by an account of the actual opening of the chapel

By Christopher Hill
On 10/04/2018

This page has been updated by an account of the actual opening of the chapel

By Christopher Hill
On 10/04/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.