Weeley Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Weeley Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Weeley Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

location of former Weeley Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Clacton Road Weeley Heath CLACTON-ON-SEA CO16 9ED

By Christopher Hill

Weeley Heath Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1858.  

The chapel measured 21' x 18' 9", was built of red brick with stuccoed walls inside, had a boarded floor with a brick aisle and accommodated 90 people. It cost £87/4/6 towards which they had raised £38/5/0.

Services at the opening were conducted by E Blake of Ipswich and Robert Church who described them in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

The chapel had closed by the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1988. On Google Street View in September 2012 it is in residential use - the Little Chapel.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine October 1858 p.619

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 05/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.