Southam Pendyke Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Southam Pendicke Street  Primitive Methodist chapel

Southam Pendicke Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 2000

Pendicke Street SOUTHAM CV47 1PE

By Christopher Hill

Pendyke Street Primitive Methodist chapel in Southam was opened in 1853 and closed in the 1950s.  

At the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 2000, it had been converted into two houses, 20 and 21 Pendyke Street.  On Google Street View in July 2009 they retain a stone table proclaiming "Primitive Methodist chapel erected A.D. 1853".

The Primitive Methodist Magazine of April 1854 includes an account by Henry Yeates of the opening of the chapel on February 12th 1854.  The chapel is described as 25' x 20' and 17' from floor to ceiling, with a beam and iron columns so a gallery could be installed if necessary.  It might well have become necessary - "The chapel fills to overflowing.  The society is more than doubled; sinners are constantly getting converted and our prospects were never before so encouraging."

Opening sermons were preached by Mr Edmonds, a merchant, and brother Martin, both of Banbury.  Mr Maunder of Banbury gave the inscription stone and Dr Montgomery of Southam made the plans and superintended the work.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine April 1854 pp. 248-249

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.