Bishops Itchington Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Bishop's Itchington Primitive Methodist chapel

Bishop's Itchington Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 2000

location of Bishops Itchington Primitive Methodist chapel, Blandford Forum

Poplar Rd Bishop's Itchington Southam CV47 2RQ

By Christopher Hill

Keith Guyler identifies the remains of Bishop's Itchington Primitive Methodist chapel as what was then (in 2000) the village Post Office & Store. The notes with Keith Guyler's picture say that the chapel was opened in 1856 and was closed by 1940. 

However, the opening of Bishop's Itchington Primitive Methodist chapel is anonymously described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of May 1860.

"Bishop's Itchington, Leamington Circuit. — After much prayer, anxiety, and toil, a beautiful brick chapel, 21 feet by 18 feet, and 14 feet from the floor to the wall plate, covered with countess slate, has been built. The cost is £120, towards which the sum of £45 has been raised. The opening services were conducted by Messrs. Piatt, Palmer, and Brazier. The sermons were instructive, the congregations encouraging, and we hope good was done."

On the 1885-7 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map a Primitive Methodist chapel is located somewhere to the east of the end of Chapel Street, although the precise location is not clear. Later maps locate it where the Post Office stands.


Primitive Methodist magazine May 1860 page 301

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 10/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.