Melton Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Melton Primitive Methodist chapel

Melton Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

location of Melton Primitive Methodist chapel

52 The Street Melton WOODBRIDGE IP12 1PW

By Christopher Hill

Melton is north east of Woodbridge. Melton Primitive Methodist chapel was established in 1860.  It is not clear when it changed from Methodist use; Keith Guyler in 1988 describes it as Independent.  It is still there and open on Google Street View in 2011 but it does not appear to have an active website in 2015.

There is a very interesting picture of what appears to be this chapel in the Getty images library.  Entitled "Removal of a chapel at Melton near Woodbridge, Suffolk" it shows a gathering complete with workmen at the side of the chapel, but what are they doing?  Were they moving out or in?  The house in the background retains its side windows and three chimneys.

Location: 283505 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 11/08/2015.
Comments about this page

They are actually moving the chapel in the photo. Apparently the gentleman in the adjoining house took the chapel members to court as he considered the building a nuisance as it was too near his house. The jury found in his favour and the chapel was cut away from its foundations and moved 15 feet away to new foundations. The spectators paid a fee to watch. The minister sat in his pulpit with a glass of water throughout the whole move and not a drop was spilled. Source - "Melton - a changing village" by Robert Blake

By Kevin Scott
On 29/07/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.