Wicken Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Wicken Primitive Methodist chapel

Wicken Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1993

location of Wicken Primitive Methodist chapel

Chapel Lane Wicken ELY CB7 5XZ

By Christopher Hill

Wicken is north west of Newmarket and Wicken Primitive Methodist chapel was near the junction of North Street and Gilbert's, later Chapel, Lane.

 Primitive Methodists lwere active at Wicken from the 1820s, using a thatched cottage and then a barn off North Street. A small timber-framed chapel was built around 1835 with seating for 185. In the 1851 religious census three Sunday services were held with 120 attending in the morning and 190 in the evening. 

The chapel was rebuilt in grey brick, with a schoolroom behind, in 1865-6. The chapel closed in 1944. The building, sold by 1947 and converted from a grain store to a house - The Old Chapel - around 1980, is still on Google Street View in .

The Victoria County History of Cambridgeshire reports a slight distrust between the Methodist and the village Anglicans that lasted even into the mid twentieth century.


Reference

The Victoria County History of Cambridgeshire accessed through British History Online August 15th 2015.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 15/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.