Englesea Brook Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cheshire

Photo:postcard c1900

postcard c1900

Steve Wild

Photo:From W J Harper, Mow Cop, 1907, before the School Room was built in 1914.

From W J Harper, Mow Cop, 1907, before the School Room was built in 1914.

Gordon Pritchard

Photo:An unusual view of the back of the School room, soon after it was built in 1914. The people in the photo may be the caretakers who lived in the Chapel Cottage next door. This would be the side of the fence in the foreground.

An unusual view of the back of the School room, soon after it was built in 1914. The people in the photo may be the caretakers who lived in the Chapel Cottage next door. This would be the side of the fence in the foreground.

Photo:The wedding of George Astbury and Ethel Cookson at Englesea Brook Chapel in 1935

The wedding of George Astbury and Ethel Cookson at Englesea Brook Chapel in 1935

The Chapel in 1907

By Jill Barber

In 1907 W J Harper, in Mow Cop and its Slopes, described Englesea Brook as 'a quiet old world spot, about three or four miles from the busy town of Crewe, and very little different to what it has been for a hundred years or more. Away from the bustling noise and hurry-scurry of the town it goes on its quiet way, heedless of the progress and developments that have been made not far from its secluded position.'

'Before Crewe was thought of, the early Methodist preacher plodded along its lonely lanes to preach in the little chapel, pushed into a corner, behind stables and yards, which still serves the little community as the only place of worship in the quiet village.'

'The Chapel is exceptionally neat and well furnished inside...  Latterly the trustees have bought a piece of land, opposite the Cemetery and next to the Chapel, on which they hope some day to erect Memorial Schools to Hugh Bourne, who still has descendants in the locality'.

Hugh Bourne Memorial School, 1914

It took several years to raise the funds, but the School Room was finally opened in 1914. Many local people remember going to Sunday School here. George Burgess and Samuel Astbury were two of the Sunday School Superintendents. The highlight of the year was the Sunday School Anniversary, when a stage was erected at the front of the chapel.

This page was added by Jill Barber on 03/08/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.