Cobholm Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Cobholm Primitive Methodist chapel

Cobholm Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

location of Cobham Primitive Methodist chapel, Great Yarmouth

Lady Haven Rd, Cobham, Great Yarmouth NR31 0AD

By Christopher Hill

Cobholm Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1923 and served until 1990.  It replaced an earlier tin tabernacle structure of 1905, and it was the very last Primitive Methodist chapel to be built in Norfolk before Methodist unification in 1932. 

In 1990 the society amalgamated with Central Hall.  The 1923 building was sold to an independent congregation, the Upper Room Christian Fellowship. They renamed it The Tabernacle.  Google Street View shows it still in that use in 2014.

Cobholm is amongst the bottom 10% neighbourhoods for social deprivation.  In 1953 it was a focus for the North Sea flood with 10 people killed and 3,500 homes destroyed in the Cobholm and Southtown areas of Great Yarmouth.

location: 518076 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.