Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland

Photo:This photo of the Bull Bank Chapel was probably taken in the late 1970's

This photo of the Bull Bank Chapel was probably taken in the late 1970's

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo:This photo of the 'Hebbron Memorial' Chapel was probably taken in the1970's

This photo of the 'Hebbron Memorial' Chapel was probably taken in the1970's

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hexham's Primitive Methodist Chapels Northumberland' page

There have been three Primitive Methodist chapels in Hexham

The Primitive Methodists worshiped in Kiln Yard for eight years before their first chapel was opened on July 25th 1830.This chapel was in Bull Bank (known by this name after an inn at the top). In 1860 it closed and was converted into two houses. In 2015 the two houses are still there but the street is now called Hallstile Bank. On the outside of No 26 is a round plaque commemorating 'The Methodist Ranters - thirty years on Bull Bank'.This plaque is a landmark for one of the historic  trails to discover more about Hexham.

Between 1860-2 a larger chapel was built in Back Street. This was known as Hebbron Memorial Chapel. The chapel was named after Henry Hebbron a preacher who was connected to the circuit by his marriage into the Ridley family several of whom held important positions in the area. The position of this chapel was thought by many not to be a good one and the failure of the society to succeed was blamed on this. It closed in 1908-9. What happened then we don't know but in 1970 Coleman's of Hexham had established an Antique Centre here. In 2015 the building is still there and is being used by a hairdresser 'Transcent Hair and Beauty' but the name of the street has changed to St.Mary's Chare.(a chare is a local word for a narrow lane between houses. It is word commonly known in Newcastle-upon-Tyne).

The third Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1909 on Battle Hill. This a large imposing building with two tower like structures on it .It closed when the Methodists in Hexham joined together to worship at West End Methodist Church. In 2015 the Battle Hill premises are Hexham Community Church.

 

Photos taken August 2015 unless stated otherwise.

OS Map Ref:87:NY:935639

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 20/08/2015.
Comments about this page

S Tillotson writes in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1830 (page 437) about the opening of the first Hexham Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday and Monday, 25th and 26th July 1830, when the preachers were Brothers William Sanderson and Thomas Aspinall. 

Although there had been serious discouragements along the way, Robert Ingram Shafto Esquire handsomely contributed to the erection  of a suitable place

By Christopher Hill
On 05/09/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.