Catfield Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Catfield Primitive Methodist chapel

Catfield Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

former Catfield Primitive Methodist chapel

Church Road Catfield NR29 5AS

By Christopher Hill

Catfield Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1836.  It was enlarged in 1859 and extended in 1913.

The Primitive Methodist magazine of May 1860 describes the enlargement at that time. The enlargement cost £120 and included raising the roof, adding a gallery and a pediment at the front and stuccoing the walls.

William and John Riches collected £75 (including £21 from a wealthy Yarmouth merchant) and Miss C Balls gave a pulpit cushion.. Rev J Venimore (Baptist) and T Lowe preached at the opening. 

The chapel is built of rendered brick and a hipped slate roof. There is a tablet in the gabled parapet with the dates '1826-1929' 

It is still active in August 2015.

location: 385217 


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1860 page 304

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/08/2015.
Comments about this page

T Lowe's account of the re-opening of the chapel after enlargement has been added to this page.

By Christopher Hill
On 17/01/2018