Balls Bank PM Chapel

Photo:Laying 0f the foundation stone, 1912

Laying 0f the foundation stone, 1912

John Anderson

Whitehill

By Jill Barber

Cottage converted into a Chapel in 1869

The Chapel was opened by Rev W E Saunders, of Tunstall, on 1 January 1870, the collection on that occasion being £6 2s.

It was replaced by a larger iron building, known as 'The Tabernacle', which was regarded as a prominent feature when viewed from the neighbouring hills. It was opened by Rev T Laurance, of Crewe, on 2 June 1895. The collections on that occasion being £5 14.11.

In 1907 the collections at the Sunday School Sermons were between £30 and £40.

A new chapel was built in 1912.

Source

W J Harper, Mow Cop and its Slopes, Tunstall (1907), p 57

This page was added by Jill Barber on 03/08/2012.
Comments about this page

Enoch Owen and George Longshaw were two of the original trustees of Balls Bank Primitive Methodist Church when it opened in January 1870. William Owen was their grandson.

By Jill Barber
On 13/10/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.