Corpusty Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Corpusty Primitive Methodist chapel

Corpusty Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1987

The Street Corpusty Norfolk, NR11 6QD

By Christopher Hill

The Corpusty Primitive Methodist chapel in the photograph was opened in 1859 and enlarged in 1911. The original chapel was only three-bays in length but this was extended to the north by one bay in 1911.

However, this wasn't the first chapel in Corpusty. William Kirby in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that the village was first missioned around 30 years previously and a chapel was built soon after. As the society grew, the chapel had a gallery added and was further enlarged before they decided to build anew in 1859. 

This new chapel was opened from August 2nd 1859. Celebrations included services and a grand tea meeting for 220. Speakers included Rev R Key, Rev W Kirby, Rev J Swindell, Reve  E Jeffrey, Rev T Swindell.

The chapel cost £220 and they had raised £88/4/6 by the opening. It measured 30' x 26' internally, was 20' high to the wall plate and had a cottage to one side and a vestry on other. This did not meet the approval of the magazine editor who commented that "cottage property in connection with chapels seldom answers a good purpose"

It is closed (august 2015) and in use as a house.

location: TG114301 


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1859 pages 629-630

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 21/08/2015.
Comments about this page

More information about the opening of this chapel in 1859 has been added from the Primitive Methodist magazine

By Christopher Hill
On 05/11/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.