Trunch Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Trunch Primitive Methodist chapel

Trunch Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1986

5 Chapel Road Trunch NR28 0QG

By Christopher Hill

The notes with Keith Guyler's photograph say that Trunch Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1852. However, there is an account by William Rudd in the Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of the chapel - on July 17th 1859. Preachers were Rev Courteney (Independent) and Rev Dolman.

We are told that the village was first missioned in 1836 and, after that Society failed to become established, again re-missioned in 1842.  At this time, a small society was set up in a house.

The new chapel is described as brick built, measuring 26' x 18'6" and 9' high (which the PM Magazine editor comments is not high enough) and  holding 110. The total cost was £82/10 of which £40 was owing

By the time of Keith Guyler's photograph in 1986 the chapel was in use as a garage/store.  A newspaper article in 2014 shows that after running the garage for more than 25 years, the proprietors had moved to new premises. What is the old chapel used for now?

location: 285347 


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1859 pages 25-626

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/08/2015.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine gives an alternative opening date for this chapel. How did the error crop up?

By Christopher Hill
On 30/10/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.